Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Steps toward freedom

Today was my 11-week check up on the foot. And things are going better then originally expected.

I got to the appointment a little early and I was able to get back into the cast room almost immediately. The cast tech took off the front half the cast and wrapped the back half back together with ace bandages. Next, I needed to walk to across the hallway to get some x-rays. Hence, the first problem. I jumped off the table and took one step. . . and almost fell on my face. Apparently, I had depended more on the front half of the cast than I realized. Needless to say and I grabbed on to the table and refused to move! So I still need to go to radiology and for some strange reason the orthopedic department did not have a wheelchair. There was a walker that I could borrow. So slowly, heel-step by heel-step, I made it over to radiology.

Once in radiology, another problem arose. The tech asked if I had ever stood on my foot without the cast. Thinking "that's a strange question being that I have been in a cast for 11 weeks," I answered in the negative. The tech then asked "You mean, they just took the cast off and sent you over here without seeing if you can stand up? I am an x-ray tech, not a physical therapist!" Now, I am confused. The tech takes me to the room and goes to speak with her supervisor. The doctor had asked for a weight bearing x-ray without taking into account that I had not stood without cast support for nearly 3 months. The supervisor came to talk to me and I told her that I thought I could do it if I had something to hold on to. The tech said that she was not comfortable with that and that she didn't want to work with me. While the supervisor went to talk to the doctor, 2 other techs came in to work with me. The doctor agreed to do a non-weight bearing x-ray and everything went smoothly.

So, back I go to the cast room, and see the doctor. The doctor is extremely pleased with the foot. He debrided the toes, which are now a beautiful pink and not a dreadful black. He had me wiggle my foot, which I kept doing because I was so excited. The toes can't wiggle yet, but I am taking everything one step at a time.

The surprise of the day was that the doctor brought the brace guy with him to make the mold for the new brace. I was not expecting this until my June visit. The brace will be ready in 1 or 2 weeks. This means that as soon as I have the brace, I can drive!!! YAY!!! In the meantime, I have a walking boot. I will have physical therapy 1 to 2 times a week. I do have to wear a splint at night so that I will not damage the tendon transfers.

Thank you for all the support and prayers over the last several weeks. The end is not in sight but it is closer than ever.

Thank you for reading and God bless!