Saturday, April 18, 2009

My TV Heroes, Part One

Just in case you didn't know, I LOVE watching TV. It doesn't matter if it is a broadcast channel or a DVD, I just enjoy being pulled into a different world for a little while. That is also why I love reading. Most evenings, I struggle with the decision of whether to read or just watch TV.

Recently, I have been thinking about characters and shows that either influence or define me in some way at this time. Two shows, in particular, floated to the top: 1) Buffy the Vampire Slayer and 2) Ugly Betty. While these shows seem to polar opposites, I have come to realize that the main characters are actually quite similar. Both Betty and Buffy represent "girl power." They have the ability to take control of any situation and be comfortable with themselves while doing it.
Because these two characters effect me in different ways, I am going to deal with them in two different entries. First, I will talk about Buffy.

For those of you that are not familiar with Buffy the Vampire Slayer (BtVS), let me give you a quick overview. Buffy Summers starts out the 7-season series as a typical student who has just transferred to Sunnydale High School. Well, I guess "typical" is really not the right word. Buffy has just been expelled from her high school in Los Angeles for burning down the school gym. She did this in the movie "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" to save the prom from vampires. This is really the only link to the 1992 "major motion picture." Buffy is a stereotypical "California-girl"--a blond, petite, cute, popular cheerleader. Of course, she hides a secret identity of the Vampire Slayer, the "Chosen One" who is charged with ridding the world of vampires and demons that threaten humanity. Unlike past Vampire Slayers, Buffy accepts and often relies on the help from friends. Willow, Xander, Giles and Buffy's mother are central to her life and decision making process. Buffy ends several apocalypses, dies twice, and still manages to have a few ill-fated relationships. She broke ground as a female superhero, a woman who does not need to be saved by men.

Buffy has an inner strength and the ability to appear confident in almost any situation. Although Buffy exudes confidence, she struggles with doubt and uncertainty. I think it is this quality that I most connect with. She has the ability to make things in her life seem OK when she clearly feels that things are not OK. Although some people might view confidence and giving confidence to other as a strength, I see this as a weakness that I can empathize with. Buffy spends so much time taking care of others, she often fails to take care of herself. The confidence she puts on for the benefit of others is merely a mask. Because she is responsible for protecting humanity from evil, Buffy often also protects her support system from what she considers "evil" thoughts and feelings. To "protect" her friends, she often runs away (both literally and figuratively).

It is her inner strength that allows her to fight not only vampires and demons, but also her weakness of giving in to self-doubt and fear of hurting others. I think this why I admire Buffy. She struggles with the same doubts and fears that I do.
Buffy considers her friends as one of the most precious gifts in her life and she is fiercely loyal and protective of them. Her loyalty is repaid by her friends risking life and limb for her. Buffy, Willow and Xander are always there for each other, although often they choose to fight their personal demons alone before they turn to each other for help. This is yet another characteristic that I relate with. For me, nothing is more valuable to me than my family and friends. But like Buffy and her friends, I tend to try to stick out difficult situations before I ask for assistance. It helps to know that my friends are as loyal to me as I am to them when I finally seek their help.
Well, I am going to go ahead and post this entry. I have been working on it for about 6 hours over the last month. I really haven't said everything about Buffy and her effect on my life but I think I have given you a hint of her importance to me.
Thanks for reading and God bless,
Devin

4 comments:

  1. Kristy Swanson could totally kick SMG's butt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bite your tongue! SMG alone could kick more vampire butt alone than Swanson! Plus she has the Scoobies!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh please - KS saved the world in 86 minutes.

    it took SMG 7 seasons!

    ReplyDelete
  4. KS didn't save the world, just her LA high school! SMG saved the world a few times over 7 seasons and even came back from the dead twice!!!

    ReplyDelete